Monday, April 22, 2013

Spring Break Crafts

Alright crafty crafters, once we finished the desk, I finally started on the spring break crafting.  I jumped in by learning about the new Silhouette machine that I got for my birthday (2 months earlier!).
Silhouette Cameo Machine
I can't believe I waited so long to experiment with what is now, my new found love!  Let me tell you, this thing ROCKS!  I've already created canvas projects, vinyl wall art, and paper crafts with this little puppy.

The first vinyl project I did was super easy.  I wanted something to delineate the space that I created for my little lady's artwork, so I cut three simple letters that spell "ART." Then I slapped them right on the wall in two seconds flat.  Pretty cool!



As for the artwork, the hubby and I concocted a little hanging display area that allows us to showcase Miss O's latest works and let's us switch them out easily.  I first got this idea when were at IKEA, but  the IKEA price was something like $20.  We made this one for $0 since we already had the wire and the wall screws.  Win!


Next up?  A little felt board for the peanut....

Just about every week Olivia goes to the library for a cute little class called "lapsit."  Depending on the size of the class it can be less cute, and more chaotic, but it's still a great experience.  Anyway, the teacher uses a felt board to encourage the kiddos to learn their colors.  O is usually very intrigued by this, so I thought it would be fun to create a board that we could use at home.  Here is a look at the final product:

I decided I'd go with a weather theme and use the board as a means to talk about the (frequently changing) Oklahoma weather.  Good in theory, but so far Miss O is giving it the "cold" shoulder.

If you are interested, making this board is really simple.  You'll need:
  • 1/2 Yard of felt
  • 1 16x20 canvas board or sturdy cardboard
  • Staple Gun
  • Scissors 
  • Colored felt to cut out shapes and designs
Cover your board with the felt, wrap the felt around the edges, staple to the board, and cut off the excess.  Done!


No comments:

Post a Comment